We understand that acne can have a negative impact on your life and can be damaging to your self–confidence. Treating acne is often a long journey that can take its toll, but our aim is to get you to a place where you're happy with the way your skin looks.
Types of acne
Acne is classified into three different types:
MildYou will see whiteheads and blackheads.
ModerateYou will see You will see whiteheads, blackheads, papules and pustules.
SevereMany large, often painful papules and pustules, as well as nodules or cysts. Scarring may also be present.
Treatment for acne
Treatment for acne depends on how severe it is. A combination of antibiotic tablets and topical treatments is usually the first treatment option for severe acne. It is very important to be patient and persist with a recommended treatment even if there is no immediate effect.
The topical treatments may include gels, creams and lotions which may contain benzoyl peroxide, topical retinoids, topical antibiotics, azelaic acid etc. depending upon the individual skin differences.
Hormonal therapies can often benefit women with acne especially if the acne flares up around periods or is associated with conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome.
There are some other treatments which can be combined with these oral and topical medications to yield better and faster results. These include but are not limited to:
- • Using a comedone extractor to clean out the pimples
- • Using chemical peels to peel off the skin to replace it with a new and healthy skin.
Once your acne has cleared, you may find you have some pigmentation and scarring, which occurs in around one in five people.
Acne scarring can be treated effectively with a range of innovative treatments which drastically reduce or remove scars completely and help to regain your confidence.
What causes acne scarring?
Acne scarring can develop as a complication of acne. It is caused when the body works extremely hard to heal the wounds caused by acne which leads to an excess of collagen build-up in the skin. This collagen can stay in place permanently which causes acne scarring.
Treatments for Acne scars
At Hair O Craft we offer a wide range of treatments to combat the special needs of all skin types. The treatment may include a series of skin peels, microneedling, laser resurfacing or a combination of these according to the nature and intensity of your scar.
It is a minimally invasive procedure involving the insertion of tiny, sterile needles into the skin. This boost up the collagen production, which in turn rejuvenates your skin and improves the overall texture of your skin.
In this technique, short, concentrated pulsating beams of light are directed at irregular skin, precisely removing skin layer by layer there by bringing you a rejuvenated skin. This popular procedure is also called laser abrasion or laser peel.
- Will acne scars heal by themselves?
- Some scars may improve slightly on their own depending on the severity while some scarring will be more stubborn than others. Dark spots on the skin (usually red, brown or black) are very common and are not true acne scars. This is called post–inflammatory hyper pigmentation and will be much easier to treat than deeper scars and might heal over time. Other acne scars can be permanent if left untreated. Scarring can also be increased if spots are picked, so it is very important to avoid picking with the fingers.
- Can all types of acne be treated?
- Yes, we help you with all types of acne. The treatment solutions will vary depending on whether you have mild, moderate or severe acne and also their grade. It can take several days or even weeks of treatment before acne symptoms improve in some patients.
Dr. Subin KMBBS, MD (DVL)
Consultant Dermatologist & Cosmetologist
- MBBS from Amala Institute of medical science, Trissur, 2011
- MD (DVL) from Govt. Medical College, Kozhikode, 2017
- Member of IADVL
- Dermatosurgery, Hair Transplant & Cosmetic Dermatology
- Dermascopy & Trichoscopy
- 2 years experience in clinical and cosmetological practice in private sector
Dr. Ashok TMBBS, MD
Consultant Dermatologist & Cosmetologist
- MBBS –A.J Institution of Medical Sciences, Mangalore.
- MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy) Kasturba Medical College, Manipal.
- 2 Year's experience as RMO in Kannur Medical College, Anjarakandy.
- 1 Year experience as RMO in St. James Hospital, Chalakkudy.
- 3 Year's experience as Junior resident in Kasturba Medical College, Manipal.